Welcome to the Foundation Stage, the first steps of your child's learning journey at the Abbey Catholic Primary School.
Every child deserves the best possible start in their education and through parental and teacher support they can fulfill their potential. The Reception year will lay the foundations to enable your child to become an independent and self-motivated learner throughout their whole school career.
The Reception team is led by Mrs Small, Mrs Howard, Miss Spoerer, Mrs Hanlon and Mrs McLeod. Mrs Howard is also the phase leader.
Find out what we are learning in our topics throughout the year:
- Topic 1 - Who am I?
- Topic 2 - Can Jesus be seen in me?
- Topic 3 - Who gives us food?
- Topic 4 - Who helps us on our journey?
- Topic 5 - Who cares for God's garden?
- Topic 6 - Why do we need animals?
In the Foundation Stage there are seven areas of learning:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
These areas of learning are taught through different topics during the school year.
In place of our usual Reception Welcome Evening, below are a series of short YouTube clips that address some of the important aspects of school life.
We look forward to welcoming your family, in person, in September.
- Head’s Welcome
- Welcome Prayer
- Catholic Life
- Uniform – Including PE and Forest Kits
- Important Dates
- ParentMail – School Communication Platform
- Twitter - @AbbeyPrimary
- Behaviour and Abbey Planners
- Special Educational Needs
- English as an Additional Language
Here are some activities based on starting primary school: